Saturday, July 14, 2007

Bloggers, Unite!

Live from Newport News, Virginia, I bring you coverage of the 2007 Blogs United Conference. I’m pretty sure I am scooping the entire literary community on this, because, well, um, I’m the only one here to represent it.

Yes, 49 bloggers from throughout the great state of Virginia have registered for the conference, and the numbers shake out something like this:

Conservative political bloggers: 37
Liberal political bloggers: 11
Children’s writing bloggers: 1

Actually, the only reason I’m here (heck, the only reason I even heard of the event) is because my husband runs one of the aforementioned conservative political blogs and he wanted to come. I of course keep up with his blog, as well some of those he links to, so it has been very cool to put names with faces here this weekend.

And while there has been disappointingly little discussion on the impact of blogging on the children’s writing community, the program has touched on some important issues, including: legal issues involving the Internet in Virginia, presented by State Attorney General Bob McDonnell; the impact of blogging on traditional media, led by Virginian-Pilot Editorial Writer Don Luzzato and Daily Press Political Reporter Hugh Lessig; how blogs affect political campaigns, with Repub…. OK, so maybe there’s a reason this conference didn’t draw more children’s writers.

Anyway, the amazing thing has been seeing how well everyone is getting along … Republicans, Democrats, Libertarians, Federalists, Green Party members, Independents and a Children’s Writer … all able to put aside their differences and work toward the betterment of the blogosphere.

(BTW, my husband and I are capping off the weekend with a Clarks concert tonight over in Virginia Beach! A terrific band ... I urge you to follow that link and check out their music!)

Update: I'm famous! Check out my picture in The Virginian-Pilot's report on the conference. (I'm the blonde off to Josh's right.)

7 comments:

elysabeth said...

My brother lives in Virginia Beach, well 6 miles fro the beach actually and it's been years since I've been up there

Hope you enjoyed the concert and hope you have had a great weekend at the bloggers conference - maybe if more people know about then more areas can be represented - E :)

LindaBudz said...

I had only been to VB once before, a long time ago, and of course was just there for a few hours last night, so I don't know a lot about it, but it seems like a pretty cool town. Except the traffic was horrendous ... just as bad as Northern Virginia. "Six miles" from the beach could mean a half hours some days, I imagine! Still, I could definitely see the appeal. And the concert was AMAZING!

Also, I did learn some interesting stuff at the very end of the conference at a session on fair use issues, which I will post on ... would be of interest to writers and bloggers everywhere.

Vivian J. Paige said...

Linda - it was good to meet you! I hope you didn't find all the political stuff too boring ;)

LindaBudz said...

Right back at you, Vivian! Actually, I like the political stuff, just not enough to blog about it. And BTW, next time, I promise not to mention a certain blog non grata in your presence!

elysabeth said...

Very nice - can't see you too well but you are there - lol -

See you in the postings - E :)

Mad Hatter said...

Nice to meet you, Linda! Hopefully you will continue to attend our political gatherings ;O)

LindaBudz said...

I'm sure I will, MH. Even if the presentations offer nothing relevant for me or my blog, I'll be back. Cuz, well, y'all know how to party!