Friday, August 24, 2007

I, Too, Am Jumping on the Bandwagon

With this post, I hereby join the many writers participating in Poetry Friday, in which they highlight this important art form each week on their blogs.

Previously I established that I haven't a poetic bone in my body, so I'll be borrowing from the greats.

What better title for my first entry than "I, Too"? Written by Langston Hughes, it is a wonderful example (as is so much of his work) of poetry as social commentary. My senior year in high school, I wrote a comparative essay using several of Mr. Hughes' poems, and he has ever since been a favorite of mine.

I, Too
by Langston Hughes
 
I, too, sing America.

I am the darker brother.
They send me to eat in the kitchen
When company comes,
But I laugh,
And eat well,
And grow strong.

Tomorrow,
I'll be at the table
When company comes.
Nobody'll dare
Say to me,
"Eat in the kitchen,"
Then.

Besides,
They'll see how beautiful I am
And be ashamed--

I, too, am America.

8 comments:

Sara said...

Welcome to Poetry Friday! And congrats on going to Rutgers One-on-One. I've heard nothing but fabulous things about it.

John Mutford said...

Great selection. I'm a big fan of Langston Hughes- glad to see someone took him along to this week's Poetry Friday.

jama said...

Thanks for this! Am not familiar with his poetry,but you have prompted me to read more :).

LindaBudz said...

Hi, all! Thanks for stopping by!

Sara, I've heard such good things about Letters from Rapunzel. I can't wait to check it out! And, I am so impressed with your original poem. Wonderful!

John, Thank you for your kind welcome for my first Poetry Friday. You did a wonderful job as host!

Jama, Your poem is so funny! And your picture books are beautiful!

rilla jaggia said...

Linda:
That's beautiful. Thanks...

LindaBudz said...

He's amazing. Glad I could share him with my visitors.

Vivian J. Paige said...

Great choice! I grew up memorizing Langston Hughes' poems.

LindaBudz said...

Thanks for stopping by, Vivian!! I actually grew up not too far from where Hughes went to college (Lincoln University in Oxford, PA). I'll bet those were interesting times at that school! He's just so cool.