Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Blogging for the Cure

Some of you may be familiar with Robert's Snow, a wonderful fund-raising effort in which kid lit illustrators are donating their time and talents to help raise money for cancer research.


I am utterly and severely artistically impaired, so I was thrilled when the folks at Seven Impossible Things Before Breakfast decided to spearhead a promotional campaign that allows us bloggers to play a role in this event.

Long story short: In November and December, 150 kid lit illustrators will auction off snowflakes created especially for this fundraiser. In the meantime, 60 kid lit bloggers will help publicize the auction by featuring the artists and snowflakes on their blogs. I have been assigned to three artists, each of whom are amazing! I am so excited to have the opportunity to showcase their work here and to help in some small way with this campaign.

The bloggers have been asked not to run the artist/snowflake profiles until given a go-ahead by Jules at Seven Impossible Things ... so check back here in late October for those. In the meantime, be sure to visit the Robert's Snow Web site to learn how you can participate in the online auction to acquire a one-of-a-kind snowflake from one of your favorite artists, and support a good cause at the same time!

4 comments:

elysabeth said...

Linda,

I just sent an email - I hope I can participate - those snowflakes look absolutely wonderful. I love snowflakes more than other winter things so this would be something I would really be enthusiastic about. I would love to have my own snowflakes - so if they are not auctioned too high, I may get to get a couple of them. I will do what I can for the campaign - E :)

elysabeth said...

Leaving another message - I checked out some of the snowflakes and thought - awesome job - but dang some are high - I know it's for a good cause but I won't be bidding on any of the snowflakes this year - some start at $150 and some start at $50. That is too rich for my pocketbook but I'm sure they will do well and I will try to do my part by supporting the campaign. Thanks for sharing with us - E :)

Stephanie, PQW said...

Hi, I just read your comment on my blog and then got to read yours. I quite enjoyed it. It's really great connecting with other chidren's writers.

I find writing to be very exciting. I love the way it makes my brain feel. Strange, huh? But it does. It engages the more creative part of me. My work requires my more analytical side. That gets to be very wearing after a while.

I read your profile and was super excited to read that you are a believer, too. That's awesome.

I'm really new to the blogging thing. It started out as a bit of research for another project I've got planned. So far I've found that it requires quite a bit of discipline and responsibility. Any hints you could send my way would be appreciated. Thanks
J

LindaBudz said...

Hi, elysabeth! They aren't cheap, but this is original artwork by established (and in some cases, famous) artists, so it is understandable, if not affordable. :)

It will be interesting to see what the final bids and total amount raised will be!


Welcome, J! I TOTALLY get the brain thing! That is how I came to get involved. I took a class on children's writing a few years back as a bit of a lark, but the first night, when we did some writing exercises, I could actually FEEL my brain sort of tingling. I loved that class and looked forward to it all week. Have been writing ever since!