Sunday, November 11, 2007

Jane Dippold: A Robert's Snow Angel

Such a thrill to have one of the many "angels" who are creating snowflakes for the Robert's Snow benefit auction featured here today … Jane Dippold and her fun flake, "Snow Angels."


First, the snowflake:

Check out the front:


And the back:


Onto the bio:

Jane Dippold was born in Coldwater, Ohio, and graduated from Miami University in Ohio with a degree in Fine Arts. She started her art career at Gibson Greeting Cards, and after having children, has worked as a freelance artist for the past 14 years. Her first freelance job was a puzzle page for the children’s magazine, Spider. This led to illustrating books for many children’s book publishers, such as Reader’s Digest, Harper Festival, Tyndale House, and Zonderkids, as well as other children’s magazines such as Highlights For Children, Highlights HighFive, Weekly Reader, LadyBug, and Your Big Backyard. Jane also designs greeting cards, gift wrap, and gift products.





Her most recent children’s book is “Papa Jethro,” written by Deborah Bodin Cohen, and published by KarBen Publishing in 2007. Other recent books include “Traveling Babies,” written by Kathryn O. Galbraith, published by Northword Press in 2006, as well as three books in the “My Favorite Verses” series written by Dandi Daley Mackall and published by Standard Publishing in 2005 and 2006.

Next, the interview:

What inspired you to pursue a career in illustration? And why for kids?

I was drawn to read as a child by the artwork on the pages of books. We did not own a lot of books, but my Mom took us to the library often. We also had the "Childcraft" series which had great pictures that I still remember today...especially the "Poems and Rhymes" volume, which was my favorite. I loved to draw and really did not realize until I was much more grown up that there were actual people drawing these pictures and being paid for it! Really?!! What a revelation. I would like to create illustrations that draw kids into reading.

Why did you decide to participate in the Robert’s Snow fund-raiser?
Many people are affected by cancer in their world today. A painted snowflake is a small way that an artist can help the cause to find a cure. I contacted Grace Lin to do a snowflake in 2006 and then was asked to paint another for this year. I consider it an honor to be involved with Robert's Snow.

Here's Jane's 2006 snowflake:


Why did you decide to illustrate your 2007 snowflake the way you did?

Laying in a snowpile creating a snow angel makes everyone an instant kid. If you haven't made a snow angel lately, this winter might be a good time to try it again. Snow creeping up your sleeves and mittens, and getting into the tops of your boots can make you really happy! And, of course, the angels are always watching, protecting and delivering the magical stuff.

What’s your favorite thing about snow?

My favorite thing about snow is how quiet it makes everything, as if the world has been put to bed. And the crunch, crunch of walking in it. I also still secretly love a snowday when my kids have the day off school. Free for all!

They say there are no two snowflakes alike. Name something that makes you different from anyone else on earth.

This is a hard question because I don't know everyone on earth and when I was a kid I thought the odds were that somewhere, someplace there had to be someone exactly like me, but... Do they love rhubarb and all things made with rhubarb? Do they paint pictures with bright, bold colors, and fill their house with lots of colors, and still prefer to wear a white t-shirt and jeans on most days? They may not be exactly like me then.

And last but not least, the pitch:

Jane Dippold's "Snow Angels" will be put up for bid in an online auction November 26-30. To check out the other snowflakes and illustrators featured on kid lit blogs this week, see the sidebar at the right of your screen. For a complete schedule of the snowflake auctions and to learn how you can purchase a unique piece of art while also supporting a good cause, head on over to the Robert's Snow site now!

9 comments:

tanita✿davis said...

Wow, wow, wow. There have been plenty of snow angels in this batch of snowflakes, but none I like so well, and none that include actual... angel-y creatures. How cool. And I love the expressiveness of the girl on the back. There is expressed in the work of this artist contentment -- it comes out in the faces she draws as joy.

gail said...

Love that snowflake! It just makes you smile. I hate to say it, but I haven't made a snow angle in decades (I'm not saying how many decades!) OK, I do have somewhat of an excuse since I never see snow anymore, but this snowflake made me realize next time I do see snow, I'm diving in!

Great questions Linda. I did my last feature yesterday, I'm going to miss these interviews.

gail

gail said...

Oh, I forgot to say, I can't wait to get my hands on "Traveling Babies"!

gail

Anonymous said...

That's lovely. I like how every inch of the snowflake is utilized. Very nice. Thanks to you both!

Anonymous said...

What a great interview and a magical snowflake. Thank you!

The way it makes the world quiet is one of my favorite things about snow, too.

LindaBudz said...

Thanks for stopping by and commenting, Tad, Gail, Jules and Laura!

May we all enjoy the excitement of the season with the same gusto Jane's little tyke has!

elysabeth said...

Very nice. I didn't realize you were on the schedule again - lol. thanks for leading me to the snowflakes with your original posting (I've been posting the schedule for everyone who was interested) I would so love to bid on some these snowflakes but alas, funds do not allow me to right now.

Maybe next year. Good job, thanks for sharing - E :)

Anonymous said...

That snowflake is adorable. I really would like to buy one, but how on EARTH am I ever going to decide?

LindaBudz said...

Hi, elysabeth! Yes, and I have one more, too ... on Thursday. Another fun illustration, so be sure to stop back here then!

Susan, I know just where you're coming from ... they're all so wonderful, each in their own way! Will be very interesting to see how the bidding goes!